Thursday, April 22, 2010

In response to "Beautiful".

So my sis thought I was being too down on myself in that last post. But in reality, I wasn't depressed or self-dissing at all. I just was stating random, deep thoughts that I had had in a waiting room the other day. I actually wrote most of that last blog on scratch paper while looking out the window in an office. My thought process began to go in that direction because I was thinking how the office was so blah and bland but just outside the window was...beauty! I apologize if it sounds like I have an incredibly low self-esteem right now.....it's not that. It's just contemplation put down in type.

1 comment:

  1. In your note, "Beautiful???". After listing your self-described un-beautiful characteristics, you mentioned that in order for one to find beauty he only need “turn his neck and he will notice the divine”. Two things stand out to me in that sentence. The first is that the viewer has to make a conscious effort to see or recognize beauty. The second is that beauty is divine. As a creature made in the image of God, are we not all in some nature a reflection of the divine? Is there not something beautiful inside all of us? You point to a flower petal floating on the water. Surly you had to look for beauty there! Without looking for it you would see it as it is. Simply a petal disconnected from its host and become hopelessly lost at sea, enjoying the beauty of its pigmentation for the last few hours of its life. Dirty finger prints on a wall need to be cleaned, A baby smiles because he doesn't know yet the condition of the world, the book on the coffee table has dust on it, the newlyweds will surely be divorced in a year, the wheel chair is out of place and in the way on a basketball court, the cancer ward is the gateway of death and the old woman at her husband’s grave is tragedy defined....is it not? Yet you have found something beautiful in all of these, you found something intrinsically valuable to each, something others missed. You recognize the fingerprint of the divine because you looked for it and when you look, so shall you find.

    ReplyDelete